Monday, May 18, 2009

Summer Craft Camp Time!

I'm actually looking forward to summer this year. My kids are getting older (they are 8 and just-about-5) and we've been having a lot of fun just hanging out together. It's also the first summer in a long time where I don't have a job that requires me to be somewhere at a certain time or is hugely stressful. I've started to see the possibility of doing some really fun stuff with my kids this summer, and that has me getting as excited about summer as I did when I was a kid.

Like most people, we are on a super tight budget right now. A summer full of camps and expensive activities just isn't going to happen. I'm pulling together loads of resources for fun, inexpensive things to do and - of course - crafting fits that bill perfectly.

That's why I'm so excited about the Summer Craft Camp we are doing over at Craftzine.com. All summer long, we'll have kid-friendly projects that will be perfect for filling the hot summer afternoons. One thing I'm most excited about for Summer Craft Camp is the participation of Kathie and Bernadette of Future Craft Collective. They'll have a special project each week that will not only get the kids making, but will get everyone thinking, too. Kathie and Bernadette are very special crafters. They focus on using repurposed materials and better yet, they focus on using craft as a vehicle to get kids talking and thinking about ideas like family relationships and consumerism. (Be sure to listen to Diane's Crafty Pod interview with Kathie and Bern!)


Their first project just went up over on Craftzine, and it's a goody. It's a beautiful way to plan out and keep up with summer activities. I'm looking forward to making one for our family. How about you?

Be sure to sign up for the Craftzine newsletter or Craft Daily so you can keep up with all the great Summer Craft Camp projects!

7 comments :

  1. I cant wait till the summer too, loads of sewing I can catch up on. Thats an uber nice thing your doing sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo for Craftzine! Now I am going to pop over and listen to Kathie and Bern. How exciting that kids are learning to craft WITH their parents and that they are being taught a less wasteful and indulgent lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea. You guys should make pinhole cameras with oatmeal containers those are fun for eveyone and do stuff with invisible ink ( using lemon juice) cheap and easy. Have fun crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun for you and them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, you're such the cool mom ... one day (when I eventually have kids) ... I will be a crafty mom too ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thrilled to hear about this! This is exactly what I have been looking for! I babysit a 7 and 8 year old all day everyday all summer long and have been searching for some quality kids crafts to do with them. Awesome awesome awesome.

    ~Katie Eats Cake

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read every single one of them. I do my best to respond when I can.

Have fun and be nice! :)
XOX
Rach