Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Redefining "cool" - these guys know where it's at

I just read a great article in the Washington Post - it's all about teenage boys taking up sewing and discovering that their newfound skills bumps up their coolness factor among peers. Now that's some awesome news.

From the article:
"Far from being ridiculed, the boys find themselves being the toast of the playground."

and

"According to the winter issue of Sewing Today, a 1997 study of 100 grade-school children found that sewing not only increases creativity but also helps develop patience, perseverance and problem-solving skills. Watching TV, on the other hand, was found to decrease those abilities."

and

"I think sewing is a dying art, especially when it comes to young men," she (Janice Rankins) said. "I want boys to help keep it alive."

I can't wait to get my son on the sewing machine, and it's good to see that he may not have to fight so hard against negative stereotypes as he gets older.

1 comment :

  1. It's awesome - I totally agree - getting into embroidery again has helped me be 10 times more creative than I've ever been.

    I'd love to see my nephews sew something! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read every single one of them. I do my best to respond when I can.

Have fun and be nice! :)
XOX
Rach